American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The second part in a concert piece, especially the lower part in a piano duet.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music, the second performer or lower part in a duet, especially a pianoforte duet: opposed to primo. Also second.
- Second: used of instruments or their parts in an orchestra: as, violino secondo, second violin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mus.) The second part in a concerted piece.
- n. the second or lower part of a duet (especially a piano duet)
- Italian, from Latin secundus, second, following; see sekw-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Il futuro secondo Google e NASA: ci salveranno macchine più intelligenti di noi, RaiNews24”
“Twilight Lexicon Posted in Senza categoria « Il secondo trailer di Eclipse!”
“A sostenerlo Ã¨ il noto tech blogger Om Malik, secondo cui la nuova applicazione potrebbe essere presentata durante il CTIA Wireless, importante [...]”
“We were presented with a hearty dish of meaty pasta, which we devoured like the tired and hungry travellers we were, only to realise that the rest of the animal was to follow as our secondo piatto.”
“For secondo, you will find a wide range of selections, including lamb, veal, wild boar, duck and pigeon.”
“The Spanish-born CEO, who moved to Germany at age 6 with his family and arrived here in 2002, laughingly calls himself "a secondo," meaning second-generation foreigners.”
“Some comprimario and secondo roles were doubled up: Vladimir Hristov was both a George Clooney-suave Marchese d'Obigny and a bland Dr. Grenvil; Giorgio Dinev, previously seen enjoyably blustering as Tosca's Spoletta, doddered formulaically as Violetta's servant, but had mischevious sparkle as Gastone — having introduced his friend Alfredo to Violetta, he worked the room, pointing out his handiwork to the other guests, a proud yenta.”
“Most restaurants are well aware of this, and unless you are in the remoter parts of rural Italy, will happily humour your request for pasta as main, or antipasti switching straight to the ‘secondo’ (missing out il primo, traditionally pasta or risotto).”
“Then the secondo – delicately grilled seabass with olive oil and thyme, so tasty that I carried on eating despite having already consumed about three times my usual dinner.”
“Uskallan (Osa) si trova sul loro secondo album, intitolato Laulu Laakson Kukista (Una canzone sui fiori della valle) uscito nel 2008 per Fonal.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘secondo’.
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
Looking for tweets for secondo.