American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Variant of seisin.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law: Originally, the completion of the ceremony of feudal investiture, by which the tenant was admitted into his freehold.
- n. Hence— Possession as of freehold—that is, the possession which a freeholder could assert and maintain by appeal to law.
- n. Possession of land actual or constructive under rightful title. Seizin is either seizin in fact (or in deed), actual occupation of the land either by the freeholder himself or by some one claiming under him, or seizin in law, the constructive seizin which arises when a person acquires the title and there is no adverse possession; thus, one taking a deed of vacant lands is seized in law before he takes possession.
- n. The thing possessed.
- n. (e ) Ownership and possession of chattels.
- n. Alternative form of seisin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Law) Possession; possession of an estate of froehold. It may be either in
deedor in law; the former when there is actual possession, the latter when there is a right to such possession by construction of law. In some of the United States seizinmeans merely ownership.
- n. obsolete The act of taking possession.
- n. The thing possessed; property.
“Janooary wan, Private Dooley distinguished himsilf at th' Battle iv Ogoowan in th 'island iv Samar be rushin' out in a perfect hell iv putty-balls, rice, arrers, an 'harsh cries, an' seizin 'th' gin'ral iv th 'Tamalese an' batin 'him over th' head with his own bean-blower.”
“The old conveyance of feoffment, with livery of seizin—the turf and twig—clearly had to go.”
“No wonder he was making such a fuss of hunting for whoever was responsible-and then seizin" on yon poor woman who couldna even speak for herself.”
“Sussex, and others, to deliver seizin of all his lands in Sussex to certain persons therein named.”
“But, before this, William was to show himself as a warrior beyond the bounds of his own duchy, and to take seizin, as it were, of his great continental conquest.”
“For on landing the Portuguese, guided by Morales, soon found the wooden cross and grave of the Englishman and his mistress, and it was there that Zarco, with no human being to dispute his title, "took seizin" of the island in the name of King John, Prince Henry, and the”
“After this feast, the King brought the Count of Poitiers to Poitiers, that he might take seizin of his fiefs, but when the King was come to Poitiers, he would gladly have been back again in Paris; for he found that the Count of La Marche, who had eaten at his table on Saint John's day, had got together a number of men-at-arms at Lusignan by Poitiers.”
“Yes, and bringing them to shore he led them, unerring, to the wooden cross above the beach; and there, over the grave of these lovers, Zarco took seizin of the island in the name of King John of Portugal, Prince Henry, and the”
“A god -- if we may suppose one of the old careless Olympians seated there on the cliff-top, nursing his knees -- must have enjoyed the comedy of it, and laughed to think that this pert beetle, edging its way along the sand amid the eternal forces of nature, was here to take seizin of them -- yes, actually to take seizin and exact tribute.”
“So she nursed the project in her own heart, and when the three had taken seizin of the northern hill, eaten their manchets of saffron cake, and shared their canful of milk, she took up a post from which, while the others scanned the offing for Spaniards, she could watch and time the ebb of the tide on the flats.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘seizin’.
Words with definitions that have a "hence" in them.
Oh, that little smiling teacher tile in my Scrabble app. He teaches me so much.
Interesting words worth @ least 15 points.
These might sound slangy, but they're mostly chemistry related or esoteric terms that can be turned into verbs with a -g suffix.
Interesting words you probably won't hear in your day-to-day.
Like it says, these are words that deserve an entire story written about them.
Looking for tweets for seizin.