from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device used for measuring the sensitivity of photographic film to light.
- n. A similar device for measuring the sensitivity of eyes to light.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument used to measure the sensitivity of photographic film to light
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument or apparatus for comparing and grading the sensitiveness of plates, films, etc., as a screen divided into squares of different shades or colors, from which a picture is made on the plate to be tested.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An apparatus or device of any kind for testing or determining the degree of sensitiveness of photographic films, emulsions, etc.; also, loosely, the sensitiveness of a plate (generally expressed in numbers) as indicated by a sensitometer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a measuring instrument for measuring the light sensitivity of film over a range of exposures
sensit(ivity) + -meter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)