Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant, Potentilla Tormentilla. See tormentil.
- n. A figure composed of seven lobes or leaves. Compare cinquefoil, quatrefoil, sexfoil. Specifically A figure of seven equal segments of a circle, used as an ecclesiastical symbol of the seven sacraments, seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, etc.
- n. architecture a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of seven partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter.
- n. heraldry A stylized flower or leaf with seven lobes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A European herb, the tormentil. See tormentil.
- n. (Arch.) An ornamental foliation having seven lobes. Cf. Cinquefoil, Quarterfoil, and Trefoil.
- n. (Eccl.Art.), rare A typical figure, consisting of seven equal segments of a circle, used to denote the gifts of the Holy Chost, the seven sacraments as recognized by the Roman Catholic Church, etc.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘septfoil’.
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for septfoil.