from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several Old World finches of the genus Serinus having yellowish plumage, especially a European species (S. serinus) closely related to the canary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various small finches in the genus Serinus, with largely yellow plumage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European finch (Serinus hortulanus) closely related to the canary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small fringilline bird of central and southern Europe, the finch Fringilla serinus or Scrinus hortulanus, closely related to the canary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various brown and yellow finches of parts of Europe
French, from Old French, perhaps from Old Provençal serena, a kind of bird, from Late Latin sīrēna, from Latin sīrēn, from Greek seirēn.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)