American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Either of two Mediterranean trees (Sorbus domestica or S. torminalis) having clusters of white flowers, saw-toothed leaves, and edible brownish fruit.
- n. medium-sized European tree resembling the rowan but bearing edible fruit
- n. any of various North American trees or shrubs having showy white flowers and edible blue-black or purplish fruit
- Properly, the tree which bears serve, Old English serves, plural, service berries; akin to Latin sorbus. See sorb. (Wiktionary)
- From Middle English serves, pl. of serve, the service tree, from Old English syrfe, from Vulgar Latin *sorbea, from Latin sorbus. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘service tree’.
Looking for tweets for service tree.