from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lightweight wool or worsted twill fabric, used chiefly for coat linings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fabric of tightly woven wool, mainly used for the linings of articles of clothing.
- n. A band for tying the tail of a wig, made of such material.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A thin, loosely woven, twilled worsted stuff.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A light woolen stuff used for the linings of coats and for women's dresses.
French chalon, after Châlons-sur-Marne .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)