American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A dish consisting of pieces of seasoned meat and sometimes vegetables roasted on skewers and served with condiments.
- n. Small cubes of any kind of meat, fowl or fish with or without vegetables that are skewered on a wooden or metal stick and roasted in an oven or over an open fire.
- n. cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables
- From Turkish şiş kebap, şiş kebabı. (Wiktionary)
- Armenian shish kabab, from Turkish şiş kebabı : şiş, skewer + kebabı, qualifying (possessive) form of kebap, roasted meat (probably from Arabic kabāb, cooked meat in small pieces, possibly from Aramaic kabbābā, burning, charring, from kabbeb, to char, roast, probably from Akkadian kabābu, to burn; see kbb in Semitic roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shish kebab’.
( personal list )
related (from me):
Catching a misspelling is both pleasurable (hooray learning!) and painful (every sentence you now realize you've ever marred with the offending word flashes to mind in one terrible instant).
Looking for tweets for shish kebab.