from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In iron ship-building, a U-shaped plate sometimes fitted around the bar-keels of coasting vessels to prevent the wearing away of the keel through friction on the ground.
  • n. A flat plate placed at the bottom or underneath part of a structure (as a column) or of a machine, to increase the bearing area or to take the wear.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.