from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The sale of a security that one does not own but has borrowed in anticipation of making a profit by paying for it after its price has fallen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A property sale negotiated with a mortgage company in which a lender takes less than the total amount due.
- n. A sale of a security that one does not own, delivery obligation met by borrowing the security from another owner.
- n. A sale of a financial security, commodity, or other good that one does not own with the contractual obligation to make delivery of the good to the buyer at a date in the future.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. sale of securities or commodity futures not owned by the seller (who hopes to buy them back later at a lower price)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.