American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large black gibbon (Symphalangus syndactylus or Hylobates syndactylus) of Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula, having an inflatable throat sac and a web of skin joining the second and third toes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The gibbon Hylobates syndactylus or Siamanga syndactyla, the largest of the gibbons, with extremely long arms, and the second and third digits united to some extent. It is a very active arboreal ape, inhabiting Sumatra and the Malay peninsula. See gibbon.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zool.) A gibbon (Hylobates syndactylus), native of Sumatra. It has the second and third toes partially united by a web.
- n. large black gibbon of Sumatra having the 2nd and 3rd toes partially united by a web
- From Malay siamang. (Wiktionary)
- Malay. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The siamang is a black-furred gibbon native to forests in Malaysia and Indonesia's Sumatra province.”
“So if you looked at the animal you might say that it resembled a siamang or an agile gibbon on steroids!”
“However, these forests contain numerous primate species such as several leaf-monkey species, slow loris (Nycticebus coucang), long-tailed macaque (Macaca fascicularis), pig-tailed macaque (M. nemestrina), and siamang (Hylobates syndactylus), the region's largest gibbon and found only in Malaya and Sumatra's lowland forests.”
“Other primarily montane species include the gymnure (Hylomys suillus), siamang (Symphalangus syndactylus), and red-cheeked squirrel (Dremomys rufigenys).”
“Kerinci-Seblat National Park is an important site for one of the last remaining populations of the Sumatran rhinoceros and Sumatran rabbit, as well as siamang and agile gibbon.”
“The destruction includes prime habitat for the orangutan, siamang, and white-handed gibbon.”
“Several other mammal species are found in this ecoregion, including numerous primate species such as several leaf-monkeys, siamang (Hylobates syndactylus), the region's largest gibbon, wild dog (Cuon alpinus), sun bear (Ursus malayanus), and clouded leopard (Pardofelis nebulosa).”
“Numerous primate species live in these forests, including the long-tailed macaque (Macaca fascicularis), pig-tailed macaque (M. nemestrina), and siamang (Hylobates syndactylus), Sumatra's largest gibbon.”
“Biodiversity FeaturesThere are no endemic mammalmammals in the ecoregion, but many species are known to use mangroves, including the tiger (Panthera tigris), tapir (Tapirus indicus), and siamang (Hylobates syndactylus).”
“He is having a business conversation just now with some Rajahs, whose numerous followers are standing and lying about, and Eblis is sitting on his shoulder with one arm round his neck, while Mahmoud sits on the table opening letters, and the siamang, sitting on the rafter, is looking down with an unpleasant look.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘siamang’.
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
Words that, at the I put them here, weren't being listed by anyone else in the entire universe.
Looking for tweets for siamang.