from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A meteorite composed of a mixed mass of iron and stone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An iron meteorite; a siderite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of meteorite. See under meteorite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name first given by N. S. Maskelyne (in the form aëro-siderolite) to those meteorites which G. Rose had previously called pallasites.
- n. In zoology, same as siderolith.
- n. Lacquered ware, manufactured in northern Bohemia, intermediate in character between fine and common stoneware. It has no glaze, but a strong surface-color of varnish or lacquer. The color or bronze is mixed with turpentine or linseed-oil and applied with a pencil. The ware is then placed in a slow oven, the ethereal oils volatlize, and the bronze color becomes fixed to the surface of the ware.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.