American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A detailed description of a person's appearance, as for police files.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A making known by signs or indications; specifically, a description by external marks or characteristics for identification.
- n. The act of signaling.
- n. The act of signalling, or of signalizing.
- n. Description by peculiar, appropriate, or characteristic marks.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of signaling, or of signalizing; hence, description by peculiar, appropriate, or characteristic marks.
- signal + -ment (Wiktionary)
- French signalement, from signaler, to mark out, from signal, signal; see signal. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“There he stood calling hastily for a drink; and her heart more than her eyes took in his, to her, consecrated signalment -- the riding-boots, short clothes, blue coat, cocked hat, ruffles.”
“His passport had only been issued at the British Legation in Stockholm, and his description tallied exactly with the signalment issued by Scotland”
‘signalment’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for signalment.