American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A spineless hemispherical cactus (Astrophytum asterias) native to Texas and northern Mexico, having large yellow flowers.
- n. See honesty.
- n. US A dollar coin, whether made from silver or not.
- n. US A small pancake.
- n. Several species of tropical freshwater fish of the genus Metynnis, of the family Characidae or Serrasalmidae, of which Metynnis argenteus is one; popular for aquariums; so named from their shape and flashing silver color.
- n. southeastern European plant cultivated for its fragrant purplish flowers and round flat papery silver-white seedpods that are used for indoor decoration
- n. a dollar made of silver
These user-created lists contain the word ‘silver dollar’.
No rhyme or reason other than that I like the names. :-) For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names II: You Know ...
coins, paper, cards and more
Looking for tweets for silver dollar.