from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of silverside.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of small fishes of the family Atherinidæ, having a silvery stripe along each side of the body. The common species of the American coast (Menidia notata) is very abundant. Called also silverside, sand smelt, friar, tailor, and tinker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A silverfish, sandsmelt, or atherine; any percesocine fish of the family Atherinidæ, having a silvery stripe along the sides.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small fishes having a silver stripe along each side; abundant along the Atlantic coast of the United States
- n. the common North American shiner
Sorry, no etymologies found.