from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The upper half of the cranium, especially the anterior portion above and including the forehead.
- n. The forehead.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The front part of the head or skull (as distinct from the occiput).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The fore part of the head.
- n. The part of the head of a bird between the base of the bill and the vertex.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The upper half or part of the head; the dome of the skull; the calvarium, including the vertical, parietal, and frontal regions of the cranium: … distinguished from occiput.
- n. In entomology, the front of the epicranium, or that part between the vertex and the clypeus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the front part of the head or skull (including the forehead)
Latin : sēmi-, semi- + caput, head; see kaput- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Latin sinciput ("half a head”; “smoked hog’s cheek or half-jowl”; (transferred senses): “brain”, “head"), whence the French sinciput. (Wiktionary)