from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrumental composition serving as an overture, as to an opera or cantata, especially in the 18th century.
- n. A symphonic composition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A symphony.
- n. A piece or music serving as an overture, interlude or ritornello.
- n. A small symphony orchestra.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music, same as symphony.
Italian, from Latin symphōnia, group of musicians; see symphony.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)