from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A one-handed fencing stick fitted with a hand guard.
- n. The art, sport, or exercise of fencing with such a stick.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. cudgels (martial art)
- n. The stick used in the sport of cudgels; a backsword.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In England and Scotland, a cudgel used in fencing or fighting; a backsword.
- n. The game played with singlesticks, in which he who first brings blood from his adversary's head is pronounced victor; backsword; cudgeling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cudgel for use with one hand, as distinguished from the quarter-staff. It is usually fitted with a guard for the hand, somewhat like that of a saber. Compare back-sword.
- n. The play or practice with such cudgels; the art of attack and defense with them: as, to learn single-stick.
- n. A wooden sword used on board ship for teaching the use of the cutlas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stick used instead of a sword for fencing
single + stick (Wiktionary)