from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An 18th-century German musical comedy featuring songs and ensembles interspersed with dialogue.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An early German form of opera consisting of spoken dialogue interspersed with song.
- n. An opera in this style.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dramatic work, partly in dialogue and partly in song, of a kind popular in Germany in the latter part of the 18th century. It was often comic, had modern characters, and patterned its music on folk song with strictly subordinated accompaniment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A semidramatic work or performance in which a series of incidents are related or represented in song.
German : singen, to sing (from Middle High German, from Old High German singan; see sengwh- in Indo-European roots) + Spiel, play; see spiel.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)