American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To reduce to skeleton form: "Carnivorous beetles ... can skeletonize a bat within hours” ( Scientific American).
- v. To outline or sketch briefly.
- v. To reduce in size or number: skeletonized the hospital staff to cut costs.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To reduce to a skeleton, as by removing the flesh or other soft tissues from the framework; make a skeleton or mere framework of or from: as, to skeletonize a leaf by eating out its soft parts, as an insect, or by removing them by maceration: particularly said of the preparation of skeletons as objects of study.
- Milit., to reduce the size or numbers of; deplete: as, a skeletonized army.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To prepare a skeleton of; also, to reduce, as a leaf, to its skeleton.
“Well, in Tennessee, it can take days or even weeks for scavengers to skeletonize a sixty-pound hog.”
“The book is also full of usefully macabre details, like the fact that fat people skeletonize faster than skinny ones do.”
“Tonight, I shall see how many minutes it will take me to skeletonize a box of McNuggets.”
“According to the encyclopedia, a school of piranha can skeletonize a cow in minutes.”
“How quickly can the Althouse commentariat skeletonize a cow?”
“Watch out – they can skeletonize a cow in under five minutes.”
“D'ONOFRIO: A forensic expert tells Local 6, it would have only taken two weeks for a child's body to completely skeletonize during a typical Florida summer.”
“Small specimens which it is proposed to skeletonize are best preserved entire in alcoholic solution as loss and breakage are thus prevented.”
“Where do they stand on the "skeletonize a cow" index?”
“However, the larvae of several generations of hollyhock sawflies skeletonize the leaves on my plants each summer.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘skeletonize’.
Words that sound like they could be the name of a superhero. Or supervillain. Or one of their weapons. Or some form of super paraphernalia...
narcissistic supply, nipple discharge, Radium Girls, exotic pollution, superior meatus, toxic megacolon, neuroblast, extinction burst, butterfly eruption, natural killer cell, spongiform pustul..., zonule of Zinn and 155 more...
about death in its different forms.
Looking for tweets for skeletonize.