from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A period of cessation in the strong flow of a current of water, especially at high or low tide.
- n. An area in a sea or river unaffected by currents; still water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. the time when the tide runs slowly, or the water is at rest; or the interval between the flux and reflux of the tide.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the occurrence of relatively still water at the turn of the (low) tide
- n. a stretch of water without current or movement
Sorry, no etymologies found.