from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An iron tool with a broad flat end, used to loosen and clear out clinkers from furnace grates.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a kind of fire iron resembling a poker, with a broad, flat end, for stirring a fire of coals, and clearing it and the grate bars from clinkers, ashes, etc.; a slice.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. iron bar used to loosen and rake clinkers out of furnaces


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.