from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Needlework decoration of small, regularly spaced gathers stitched into a honeycomb pattern.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An embroidery technique in which the fabric is gathered and then embroidered with decorative stitches to hold the gathers in place.
- v. Present participle of smock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ornamental shirring, recently used, intended to imitate that on the smock-frocks of field-laborers. The lines, instead of being horizontal, form a honeycomb, the material being puckered diagonally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. embroidery consisting of ornamental needlework on a garment that is made by gathering the cloth tightly in stitches
Sorry, no etymologies found.