from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dish for a snuffer (a candle-snuffer).
- n. A dish for the snuff of the lamps of the Tabernacle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small open dish to hold snuff.
- n. A dish used to hold the snuff of the lamps of the tabernacle. In the authorized version of the Bible this is the rendering of a Hebrew word (machtah) elsewhere represented by ‘censer’ and ‘fire-pan.’ The same name seems to have applied both to a dish for carrying live coals to the altar of incense and to a dish used for the snuff of the lamps.
- n. A tray to hold the snuff of candles, or to hold snuffers; a snuffer-tray.
Sorry, no etymologies found.