from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sounding-board.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In musical instruments, a thin resonant plate of wood so placed as to enhance the power and quality of the tones by sympathetic vibration.
- n. Same as sounding-board
- n. See cut under abat-voix.
- n. In organ-building, same as wind-chest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (music) resonator consisting of a thin board whose vibrations reinforce the sound of the instrument
Sorry, no etymologies found.