from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To give a speech: "In Washington, cabinet secretaries pose and speechify” ( Jonathan Alter).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To give a speech; to hold forth, to pronounce at length.
- v. To make speeches to (someone); to address in a speech.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To make a speech; to harangue.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a speech; harangue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make speeches; hold forth, or harangue with a certain degree of formality
I had a public speaking assignment in high school where everyone in the class was required to "speechify" what the key to good communication was to each of us.
Speechify, speechify, speechify - that's all he does, and even then it is all lawyered up terminology so he can't be pinned down later for his vague pronouncements and promises.
* I'm a rape crisis counselor volunteering with the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center; I speechify as part of the Survivor Speakers Bureau, and work with the community education and prevention branch.
She had to cajole and debate, charm and speechify.
Republicans could defuse the drama by declining to speechify, instead rising repeatedly to suggest the lack of a quorum and forcing endless roll calls.
Are we to replace a mental midget who can “speechify” but not spell proliferation, with one who forgot how? —
How about no donations for Obama unless he can speechify without a teleprompter or other prewritten form?
There are so many problems facing Americans and all Obama wants to do is play the race card, create racial division and then speechify on it.
You can't vote and speechify one way in congress and take the opposite tack in a presidential campaign.
McCain proposing town halls = his campaign got the point last night about trying to speechify behind a podium compared to Obama.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.