American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The study of seals and signets.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The study of seals and the distinctions among them; the archæology of seals. This study is similar in its nature to numismatics, and has been of great use in the history of the middle ages, as well as in the investigation of costume, armor, etc.; it is also of value in connection with the documents to which seals are attached, as aiding in their classification and in the proof of their authenticity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The science of seals, their history, age, distinctions, etc., esp. as verifying the age and genuiness of documents.
- From Ancient Greek seal (sphragis). (Wiktionary)
- French sphragistique, from Late Greek sphragistikos, of seals, from Greek sphragistos, stamped, sealed, from sphragis, seal. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The so-called auxiliary sciences of history, i.e. palæography, diplomatics, epigraphy, numismatics, sigillography, or sphragistics, furnish practical rules that generally suffice to determine approximately the age of a manuscript.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sphragistics’.
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Looking for tweets for sphragistics.