from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various crabs, such as those of the genera Libinia and Macrocheira, having long legs and a relatively small triangular body.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various species of crab of the family Majidae with long legs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of numerous species of maioid crabs having a more or less triangular body and ten long legs. Some of the species grow to great size, as the great Japanese spider crab (Macrocheira Kempferi), measuring sometimes more than fifteen feet across the legs when they are extended.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A spider-like crab, or sea-spider, with long slender legs and comparatively small triangular body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous crabs with very long legs and small triangular bodies
Sorry, no etymologies found.