from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several tropical American monkeys of the genus Ateles, having long legs and a long prehensile tail and lacking a thumb.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any New World monkey of the genus Ateles, with long, spindly limbs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of numerous species of South American monkeys of the genus Ateles, having very long legs and a long prehensile tail.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tropical American platyrrhine monkey, of the family Cebidæ, subfamily Cebinæ, and genera Ateles and Brachyteles; a kind of sajou or sapajou, likened to a spider by reason of the very long and slim limbs, and long prehensile tail.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. arboreal monkey of tropical America with long slender legs and long prehensile tail
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.