from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A structure that protects the upper part of a vehicle from splashes of mud.
- n. Nautical A screen on a boat to keep water from splashing onto the deck.
- n. A board for closing a spillway or sluice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A guard towards the front of a vehicle, to prevent splashing by mud or water from the road.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A guard in the front part of vehicle, to prevent splashing by a mud or water from the horse's heels; -- in the United States commonly called dashboard.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A guard of wood, or an iron frame covered with leather, in front of a wheeled vehicle or a sleigh, to protect the occupants from the splashing of the horses' feet; a dash-board or dasher.
- n. A kind of screen raised above the deck-line or bulwark-rail, to prevent water from coming on deck owing to a low freeboard or a swell.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. protective covering consisting of a broad plank along a gunwale to keep water from splashing over the side
- n. protective covering consisting of a panel to protect people from the splashing water or mud etc.
splash + board (Wiktionary)