from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The spore-producing phase in the life cycle of a plant that exhibits alternation of generations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant (or the diploid phase in its life cycle) which produces spores by meiosis in order to produce gametophytes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In plants exhibiting alternation of generations, the generation which bears asexual spores; -- opposed to
gametophyte. It is not clearly differentiated in the life cycle of the lower plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the segment or stage of the life-cycle of the higher cryptogams (Pteridophyta, Bryophyta) in which the non-sexual organs of reproduction are borne
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the spore-producing individual or phase in the life cycle of a plant having alternation of generations
sporo- + -phyte. (Wiktionary)