American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various succulent, spring-flowering plants of the genus Claytonia, especially C. virginica, of eastern North America, having narrow leaves and racemes of white or pinkish flowers.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common American wild flower of the genus Claytonia, especially C. Virginica, a low, succulent herb, sending up from a deep-set tuber in early spring a simple stem bearing a pair of narrow leaves and a loose gradually developing raceme of pretty flowers, which are white or rose-colored with deeper veins. See cut under Claytonia. The smaller C. Caroliniana, with spatulate or oval leaves, is more northern except in the mountains.
- n. In entomology, a beautiful little butterfly of America, Erora læta, which appears in spring, and has the hind wings in the male brown bordered with blue, in the female mostly blue.
- n. Any of various species of flowering plant of the genus Claytonia, primarily native to the Americas and northeastern Asia.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.), (Zoöl.) A small, elegant American butterfly (Erora læta) which appears in spring. The hind wings of the male are brown, bordered with deep blue; those of the female are mostly blue.
- n. small slender plant having one pair of succulent leaves at the middle of the stem and a loose raceme of white or pink or rose bowl-shaped flowers and an edible corm
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘spring beauty’.
spring has sprung
Names for colors composed of two or more words. All of these are defined as colors in at least one dictionary, most being in MW3. See Chromonyms for one-word color names.
Transforming our yard into a place for living things. The list and the yard will grow in tandem. I will add only as I plant (or discover volunteers).
Looking for tweets for spring beauty.