from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A channel at the end of a deck to restrain the water.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Nautical, a V-shaped barrier or breakwater, from 1 to 2 feet or more high, erected on sea-going vessels forward of the foremast, to shed water coming over the bows.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.