from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several weedy, low-growing herbs of the genera Spergula or Spergularia, especially Spergula arvensis native to Europe, having linear whorled leaves and small white flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several European annual herbs of the genus Spergula
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An annual herb (Spergula arvensis) with whorled filiform leaves, sometimes grown in Europe for fodder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Radiating, like the points on a spurrowel.
- n. A plant of the genus Spergula.
Dutch spurrie, from Middle Dutch speurie, probably from Medieval Latin spergula, probably from Latin spargere, to scatter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Dutch or Old French spurrie; compare German Spergel, New Latin spergula. (Wiktionary)