American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several weedy, low-growing herbs of the genera Spergula or Spergularia, especially Spergula arvensis native to Europe, having linear whorled leaves and small white flowers.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Radiating, like the points on a spurrowel.
- n. A plant of the genus Spergula. The common species is S. arvensis, the corn-spurry, from whose seeds a lamp-oil has sometimes been extracted. Knotted spurry, more properly called
knotted pearlwort, is Sagina nodosa. The lawn-spurry (or properly lawn pearlwort) is Sagina glabra. The sand-spurry is of the genus Spergularia. See Spergula.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) An annual herb (Spergula arvensis) with whorled filiform leaves, sometimes grown in Europe for fodder.
- Dutch or Old French spurrie; compare German Spergel, New Latin spergula. (Wiktionary)
- Dutch spurrie, from Middle Dutch speurie, probably from Medieval Latin spergula, probably from Latin spargere, to scatter. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The plants most commonly employed in this country are spurry, white mustard, and turnips.”
“White mustard and spurry are employed in the same way as a preparation for winter wheat, and with the best results.”
“Amongst the injurious substances found in linseed and linseed-cake I may mention the seeds of the purging-flax, darnel, spurry, corn-cockle, curcus-beans, and castor-oil beans.”
“The spurry (Spergula arvensis) is introduced, but grows abundantly in our fields.”
Resources of the Southern Fields and Forests, Medical, Economical, and Agricultural. Being also a Medical Botany of the Confederate States; with Practical Information on the Useful Properties of the Trees, Plants, and Shrubs
These user-created lists contain the word ‘spurry’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Another of my random palavery lists for terms and phrases that don't fit into any of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for spurry.