from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A scale or scalelike structure.
- n. A thin platelike mass, as of bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A scale cast off from the skin; a thin dry shred of epithelium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A scale cast off from the skin; a thin dry shred consisting of epithelium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a scale of any sort, usually the homologuo of a leaf.
- n. In anatomy and zoology: A scale, as of the epidermis.
- n. A thin, expansive, scalelike part of a bone: as, the squama of the temporal bone (the squamosal); the squama of the occipital bone (the supra-occipital).
- n. In ornithology, a scale-like feather, as one of those upon a penguin's wing or the throat of a humming-bird. See cut under Squamipennes.
- n. In entomology, an elytrum.
- n. The scale-like exopodite of a crustacean antenna.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a protective structure resembling a scale
Latin squāma.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin a scale. (Wiktionary)