from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical A four-sided sail extended by a yard suspended horizontally across the mast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sail bent to a horizontal yard set athwartships.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a four-sided sail extended upon a yard suspended by the middle; sometimes, the foresail of a schooner set upon a yard; also, a cutter's or sloop's sail boomed out. See Illust. of Sail.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sail horizontally extended on a yard slung to the mast by the middle, as distinguished from other sails which are extended obliquely; specifically, a square sail occasionally carried on the mast of a sloop, or the foremast of a schooner-rigged vessel, bent to a yard called the squaresail-yard.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a four-sided sail set beneath a horizontal yard suspended at the middle from a mast
Sorry, no etymologies found.