from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various burrowing predatory marine crustaceans of the order Stomatopoda, having movable stalked eyes and a pair of jointed grasping appendages. Also called mantis crab, mantis shrimp.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the genus Squilla of mantis shrimps.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of numerous stomapod crustaceans of the genus Squilla and allied genera. They make burrows in mud or beneath stones on the seashore. Called also mantis shrimp. See Illust. under stomapoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The representative genus of Squillidæ, containing such crustaceans as S. mantis, the common mantis-shrimp or locust-shrimp. The southern squill of the United States is Coronis glabriuscula. See cuts under mantis-shrimp and Squillidæ.
- n. Same as squill, 1.
- n. Same as squill, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a kind of mantis shrimp
New Latin Squilla, genus name, from Latin squilla, shrimp; see squill.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the genus name. (Wiktionary)