American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A tropical American evergreen tree (Chrysophyllum cainito) having smooth-skinned, green or purple fruit and purplish flowers.
- n. The edible fruit of this tree.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fruit of the West Indian Chrysophyllum Cainito, or the tree which produces it. The fruit is edible and pleasant, of the size of an apple, a berry in structure, having ten or eight cells, which, when cut across before maturity, give the figure of a star. Also called cainito.
- n. The fruit of a tropical tree, Chrysophyllum cainito
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) a tropical American tree (Chrysophyllum Cainito), having a milky juice and oblong leaves with a silky-golden pubescence beneath. It bears an applelike fruit, the carpels of which present a starlike figure when cut across. The name is extended to the whole genus of about sixty species, and the natural order (Sapotaceæ) to which it belongs is called the
- n. evergreen tree of West Indies and Central America having edible purple fruit star-shaped in cross section and dark green leaves with golden silky undersides
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘star apple’.
List naming fruits found in foreign markets and lands that are seldom seen or heard of in America.
Looking for tweets for star apple.