from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tropical American evergreen tree (Chrysophyllum cainito) having smooth-skinned, green or purple fruit and purplish flowers.
- n. The edible fruit of this tree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fruit of a tropical tree, Chrysophyllum cainito
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a tropical American tree (Chrysophyllum Cainito), having a milky juice and oblong leaves with a silky-golden pubescence beneath. It bears an applelike fruit, the carpels of which present a starlike figure when cut across. The name is extended to the whole genus of about sixty species, and the natural order (Sapotaceæ) to which it belongs is called the Star-apple family.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fruit of the West Indian Chrysophyllum Cainito, or the tree which produces it. The fruit is edible and pleasant, of the size of an apple, a berry in structure, having ten or eight cells, which, when cut across before maturity, give the figure of a star. Also called cainito.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. evergreen tree of West Indies and Central America having edible purple fruit star-shaped in cross section and dark green leaves with golden silky undersides
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.