from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a bulbous liliaceous plant (Ornithogalum umbellatum) having a small white starlike flower.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Ornithogalum, particularly O. umbellatum: so called from its starlike flowers, which are pure-white within.
- n. One of a few plants of other genera, as Stellaria Holostea and Hypericum calycinum.
- n. See also Hypoxis and Gagea.
- n. In Australia, a plant of the lily family, Chamæscilla corymbosa.
- n. In Tasmania, Reya umbellata, an ornamental liliaceous plant having greenish-white flowers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several perennial plants of the genus Ornithogalum native to the Mediterranean and having star-shaped flowers
Sorry, no etymologies found.