from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Belonging to or designating a class of verbs that express a state or condition.
- n. A verb of the stative class.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. asserting that a subject has a particular property
- adj. Of or relating to a fixed camp, or military posts or quarters.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a fixed camp, or military posts or quarters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a fixed camp or military post or quarters.
- In Hebrew grammar, indicating a physical state, or mental, intransitive, or reflexive action: said of certain verbs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. ( used of verbs (e.g. `be' or `own') and most participial adjectives) expressing existence or a state rather than an action
Latin statīvus, stationary, from stāre, stat-, to stand.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin stativus (Wiktionary)