from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A keyboard machine used to record dictation in shorthand by a series of phonetic symbols.
- n. A phonetic symbol or combination of symbols produced by such a machine.
- transitive v. To record or transcribe (matter) with a stenotype machine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A keyboard machine used to record a version of shorthand using a series of phonetic symbols
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ordinary type-letter—capital, lower-case, or italic—used to denote a shorthand character or outline.
steno(graphy) + type.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)