American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A unit of measure equal to the solid angle subtended at the center of a sphere by an area on the surface of the sphere that is equal to the radius squared: The total solid angle of a sphere is 4π steradians. See Table at measurement.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A unit of solid angular measure; the solid angle subtended at the center by that part of a sphere which is equal to the square of its radius, hence by the unit surface on a sphere of unit radius.
- n. geometry In the International System of Units, the derived unit of solid angle; the solid angle subtended at the centre of a sphere of radius r by a portion of the surface of the sphere that has area r2. Symbol: sr
- n. the unit of solid angle adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
- ste(reo) + radian (Wiktionary)
- ste(reo)- + radian. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“(c) In photometry, the unit name steradian and the unit symbol sr are usually retained in expressions for derived units.”
“Unit of luminous intensity candela The candela is the luminous intensity, in a given direction, of a source that emits monochromatic radiation of frequency 540 x 1012 hertz and that has a radiant intensity in that direction of 1/683 watt per steradian.”
“There were some say that this “hole,” which is just a cold spot which has “sharp boundaries” in steradian measure from the surrounding.”
“A complete steradian sweep showed nothing the size of a spaceship out there.”
“An advantage of the moon over the Earth is that the moon subtends less than 0.25 square degree, whereas the Earth subtends a steradian or more, so scattered light and light potentially leaking around the shutter presents additional problems for the Earth.”
“More formally, a candela is the intensity of a source that puts out yellow light at 1/683 watt per steradian of solid angle.”
“My follicular kingman homes for sale drowse fractiousness me this scrum to lender inauspiciously his defenseless panicle, his disorganisation to curb, and his steradian for noncausative to mustache.”
“Flying by the seat of one’s pants, 4-pi steradian shots in the dark, gut checks and the like are all risky in foreign territory.”
“k is ~5,000 particles per steradian per square meter per second”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘steradian’.
Miscellaneous junk I want to deal with mentally at some other time.
Words I picked up in physics and other science/engineering classes!
Looking for tweets for steradian.