from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The basal segment of the maxilla of an insect or a crustacean.
- n. Botany A stalklike support or structure; a stipe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The vertical beam of a cross used for crucifixion
- n. The basal segment of the maxilla of an insect or a crustacean
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The second joint of a maxilla of an insect or a crustacean.
- n. An eyestalk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, same as stipe.
- n. In zoology, a stalk or stem, as an eye-stalk or a footstalk; a stipe.
- n. Also, the stalk of the halter of a dipterous insect.
The striped edition celebrates the 5th anniversary of Senseo: the stipes are the bar code and the different colours represent the different editions.
Obama and his parade of loonies (Biden) and fools (Pelosi & Reid) are showing their true radical stipes.
The makers, Adidas have their logo in the top centre of the chest and their three stipes running down each sleeve, both in white.
The makers, Adidas have their logo in the top centre of the chest and their three stipes running down each sleeve, both in burgundy.
She has a mentor, one Cap Drake, an erudite man but a lie-teller and when Mabel asks about the meaning of the stipes on the American flag, Cap hems and haws and pretends to know but doesn't.
When the stipes on the rhizome begins to show a blistered look after about three months, they are beginning to show bud formation in time for their next growing season.
Cut the withered stipes leaf stalks as close to the rhizome as possible and remove broken or old roots.
Bigbenr, You've shown the "colour" of your stipes.
I see marble support collumns, wall tiles of precious gem stones, and lanes divided with stipes of $100 bills ... the brilliant colors dancing off the hand rubbed laquer black gloss of my gas guzzling limo.
And you are so right about the "picking and choosing" being a problem for believers of all stipes.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.