from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of the Nazi militia noted for brutality and violence.
- n. One who resembles or behaves like a member of the Nazi militia.
- n. A member of a force of shock troops.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A German soldier trained in special infiltration tactics, introduced around the end of World War I.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the Nazi SA
From storm troops, translation of German Sturmtruppen : Sturm(abteilung), Storm (Division) + Truppen, troops.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
storm + trooper, a calque of German Sturmtruppen, from Sturm (“storm”) + Truppen (“troops”). (Wiktionary)