American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slang Acceptability or popularity, especially among young people in urban areas.
- n. slang Credibility among young, hip urban dwellers; particularly important in the hip-hop and gangsta-rap scene.
- n. credibility among young fashionable urban individuals
- From street ("urban youth") + credibility, by shortening (Wiktionary)
- street + cred(it). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Fong’s street cred comes from growing up in Chinatown—he is a third-generation Chinese American whose father came through Angel Island Immigration Station, where many Chinese were infamously detained and deported—and his effectiveness clearly stems from a tireless championing of the neighborhood.”
Looking for tweets for street cred.