from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several flowering plants of the genus Strelitzia
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of plants related to the banana, found at the Cape of Good Hope. They have rigid glaucous distichous leaves, and peculiar richly colored flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of monocotyledonous plants, of the order Musaceæ, distinguished by its flowers with three free sepals and three very dissimilar and peculiar petals, of which the outer is short, broad, and concave or hooded, the two lateral long, narrow, more or less united, and continued into a long petaloid appendage.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small genus of large perennial evergreen herbs having leaves resembling those of banana plants; sometimes placed in family Musaceae
Sorry, no etymologies found.