American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Either of two small, brightly colored topminnows (Fundulus catenatus or F. stellifer) of the southeast United States.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of killifish, Fundulus (Xenisma) catenatus, 6 or 7 inches long, locally abundant in the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers. It is one of the largest and handsomest of the cyprinodonts. A related species is the spotted studfish, F. (X.) stellifer, of the Alabama river. These represent a section of the genus with the dorsal fin beginning nearly above the anal.
- n. Any of several species of small American minnows of the genus Fundulus, such as Fundulus catenatus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any one of several species of small American minnows of the genus Fundulus, as F. catenatus.
- stud + fish (Wiktionary)
- stud1 + fish. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘studfish’.
What is this list about?
Interesting words in nature and natural science (in any language!).
What kind of words am I supposed to add?
You can add species names that you lov...
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
When you're underwater, what do you see or experience? Let's dive...
(Here's a cute little related list called Fishful Thinking...)
Looking for tweets for studfish.