from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Inducing stupor; stupefying or narcotic.
- n. A drug, such as a narcotic, that induces stupor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. inducing stupor or drowsiness (with a drug such as a narcotic or an anaesthetic)
- n. a drug that has the above effect
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Producing stupefaction; stupefactive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a stupefying power.
- n. A medicine which produces stupor or insensibility; a narcotic.
Latin stupefaciēns, stupefacient-, present participle of stupefacere, to stupefy; see stupefy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)