from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To restrict or make conform to a particular style.
- transitive v. To represent conventionally; conventionalize.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To represent something in a particular style
- v. To represent something in a conventional manner
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bring under the conditions of style; impress with the characteristics of style; conventionalize: in the decorative arts used to express the transformation which natural forms undergo in their adaptation to decorative motives, as in the use or the acanthus in Greek art, and the arum in Gothic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. represent according to a conventional style
Sorry, no etymologies found.
However, I REALLY REALLY want Burton and his team to 'stylize' the characters in Wonderland to their taste, not 'Beowulf'.
For this reason, there are numerous Mercedes parts available that will allow you to replace, protect, or even just stylize the interior of your vehicle to ensure that the luxuriousness of your ride will stay that way.
She helps her students select, arrange, stylize and act out rock music in preparation for theater auditions.
Director Tomas Alfredson Let the Right One In manages to stylize the visual part of the story just enough to make it seem slightly foreign.
Obviously under the influence of Swan Lake more than The Red Shoes, and making the cast and crew sit through at least "five different versions" of a production that dates back to 1877, Aronofsky said he focused on controlling the color palette in order to stylize the film.
A larger magazine asked me to stylize my writing more; add more descriptives; use more dashes and exclamation points.
We finally live in an age where, with computers, we can stylize the filmmaking to such a degree that we can make a successful Superman film in which we don't have to try and forget the old comics, the old Superman television shows, the old Superman radio shows.
Even if the assignment is to stylize the characters at your own feel, there's still room for improvement.
In the end, it became clear that good production value stems from knowing how to stylize reality in such as way as to illicit the correct psychological response from your audience.
You could even stylize the buttons to mimic the style of the RSS, making the site more consistent in look and feel.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.