from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the superficies, or surface; superficial.
- adj. Situated or built on another person's land.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the superficies, or surface; superficial.
- adj. Situated or built on another man's land, as a house.
- n. One to whom a right of surface occupation is granted; one who pays quitrent for a house built upon another man's ground.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the superficies or surface: superficial.
- In law, situated on another's land.
- n. In law, one to whom a right of surface is granted; one who pays the quit-rent of a house built on another man's ground.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The bringing over of what was affirmed before concerning his Judaical privileges into this verse, is an effect of a very superficiary consideration of the context.
Is it not much to be lamented that many Christians content themselves with a very superficiary knowledge of these things?
And those who take upon them to be ministers and instructers of others, by whom this is neglected, who take up with a superficiary knowledge of general principles, and those such, for the most part, as have a coincidence with the light of nature, do but betray the souls of those over whom they usurp a charge, and are unworthy of the title and office which they bear.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.